News Flash

Photo by geralt

Photo by geralt

Cindy Diaz, Staff Writer & Copy Editor

The world is constantly changing, and new things are always happening. These next few events are some of the things you need to be aware of right now.

1. Kennedy’s unreleased documents.

54 years after President John F. Kennedy’s assassination, President Trump said he will allow the “long blocked and classified JFK files to be opened.” Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia Center of Politics, said that “The American public deserves to know the facts, or at least they deserve to know what the government has kept hidden from them for all these years.” Although the content of these files remains unknown, many American scholars are questioning the reasons behind the government’s silence during the last decades in regards to this matter.

1.  Boy Scouts new program welcomes females

The Boy Scouts of America, a youth organization founded in 1910, recently announced they will welcome females into their program starting next year. According to Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh, “The values of Scouting – trustworthy, loyal, helpful, kind, brave and reverent, for example – are important for both young men and women.” This announcement has been open for debate.  Many people argue against the organization’s “misogynistic and sexist” discrimination since its establishment, while many others say the organization has abandoned its principles and traditions by allowing girls in.

1. Republican Tax Plan

A Republican tax plan has been discussed during the last few weeks at Capitol Hill, Washington. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the impact of the tax bill could possibly affect non-profit organizations such as churches and local charities, including the LDS Church and the Salvation Army. Thomas Burr, Washington bureau chief of The Salt Lake Tribune, said that this plan “could result in only about 5 percent of Americans itemizing deductions for such things as charitable giving and mortgage interest.” Organizations are currently urging Congress to pass a universal deduction for charities in order to protect their non-profit purposes.

1. 2017 Elections

On November 7th, elections throughout the country showed a rise in minorities, the lgbtq+ community, and women. Danica Roem was elected to office in Virginia, she is the first transgender State Representative in U.S history. Elizabeth Guzman and Hala Ayala became the first ever Latinas elected to the Virginia House of Representatives. Andrea Jenkins is the first transgender person of color in a major city’s council (Minneapolis).  Kathy Tran, a former refugee from Vietnam became the first Asian American woman to be elected to the Virginia House of Delegates. According to The New York Times, the Democratic wins were “an unmistakable alarm bell for Republicans ahead of the 2018 campaign.”

1. Nuclear Weapons

South Korea’s President Moon Jae In said that regardless of being geographically close to North Korea, he wouldn’t allow nuclear weapons in his country. Back in May, President Moon Jae In promised to lead a path toward denuclearization. “North Korea’s nuclear state cannot be accepted or tolerated. We will not develop or possess nuclear weapons, either” said Moon Jae In during a National Assembly. According to the Washington Post, Donald Trump “was open to the possibility of countries such as South Korea and Japan acquiring their own nuclear weapons to deal with the threat of North Korea.” A poll conducted by Gallup Korea found that 60% of South Korean citizens supported the idea acquiring nuclear weapons.