News Flash

Back to Article
Back to Article

News Flash

Photo by geralt

Photo by geralt

Photo by geralt

Cindy Diaz, Staff Writer

The world is constantly changing, and new things are always happening. These next few events are some of the things you need to be aware of right now.

Hawaii

Tensions between the U.S and North Korea are forcing many states to bring back warning systems in case war breaks. This is the case of Hawaii. On Wednesday morning Hawaii’s emergency system was alarmed after North Korea launched a ballistic missile. Authorities claim that the renewed emergency system will supposedly alarm people on time to find shelter and stay safe.  According to the New York Times, this system remained inactive after the Cold War era. Richard Rapoza, the spokesman for the emergency management agency, said they had stopped using this system after the mid-1990’s “So now because of the North Korean threat we are starting to use it again,” he said.

The Great Salt Lake

According to a 2016 study conducted by multiple ecologists and scientists from the University of Utah, the Great Salt Lake reached its lowest levels in recorded history, it has significantly shrunk in size since the first settlers arrived in 1847. Wayne Wurtsbaugh, Utah State University limnologist and lead author of a research paper titled “Impacts of Water Development on the Great Salt Lake and the Wasatch Front” said “Loss of water in the lake threatens its unique ecology, along with the wildlife and industries that depend on the lake’s ecosystem services…Further, lowering lake levels increase dust pollution, which worsens the health effects of the Salt Lake City area’s already serious air pollution problems.”

Slavery in Libya

Many Libyans have constantly tried to flee poverty and violence., however, they’ve encountered themselves with a bigger issue while trying to immigrate to various European countries over the last few years. CNN reporters stated that slave auctions are occurring not only Libya but in many other African countries. People are being sold for as little as $400 to $1000.  Many non-profit organizations are urging people to react to this issue and take action by alarming the United Nations and raise attention to this matter.

California

Wildfires in California, which started to appear some months ago, keep on hunting the state and alarm not only locals but government officials as well. On December 7th, the eastern part of Los Angeles was in great danger. According to the New York Times, there were about  “300 burned acres, seven buildings were destroyed, and the fire was 10 percent contained.” State officials were ready to request an emergency declaration and alarm people to flee their homes.

About the Writer