News Flash

Photo by geralt

Photo by geralt

Cindy Diaz, Staff Writer & Copy Editor

Iran Nuclear Deal

• In 2015, the P5+1, which includes, the United States, the United Kingdom, Russia, France, and China, reached an agreement with Iran, in which the country agreed to reduce nuclear activities that were alarming many nations. However, Trump has publicly shown his opposition to this deal, in which he finds “terrible flaws.” On April 22nd, Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, announced that Iran won’t accept any further negotiations if the United States opts to withdraw from the deal. “America should never have feared Iran producing a nuclear bomb, but we will pursue vigorously our nuclear enrichment. If they want to fear anything, it’s up to them” said Zarif on Sunday.

Visa Impasses 

• Tensions between the United States and Russia keep growing stronger. This has severely affected American tourism. The U.S. has been denying tourist visas to Russian citizens for the last few months. According to the Washington Post, “The Kremlin accused the United States of denying visa appointments to crew members of Aeroflot, Russia’s flagship carrier and the only airline with direct flights to the United States.” The Washington Post interviewed a Russian citizen as well, who was planning to spend time in the U.S and who got his visa denied. He said, “Putin doesn’t suffer, Trump doesn’t suffer, but people like me suffer.”

Waffle House Shooting 

• Four people were killed in a Tennessee Waffle House. Travis Reinking is the main suspect and according to Nashville Police, more than 160 police officers spent hours searching for the suspect after he fled the crime scene. According to CNN News, “Reinking was once arrested by the Secret Service for trespassing near the White House.” His family had previously reported he experienced hallucinations and owned several firearms. According to NBC news, the racial nature of the shooting is being questioned since three of the victims were black and one is Latino.

Israel

• By the end of March, thousands of Palestinians attempted to cross the border that separates Israel and Gaza to protest Israel’s economic blockade. However, on May 4 Israeli soldiers opened fire on the people which resulted in 2,700 Palestinians getting injured and 58 were killed. According to the New York Times, speakers in the protests chanted, “Now we are heading to Jerusalem with millions of martyrs. We may die but Palestine will live.” Meanwhile, less than forty miles away, government officials celebrated the move of the American embassy to Jerusalem.

About the Writer