News Flash

Back to Article
Back to Article

News Flash

Photo by Pixabay

Photo by Pixabay

Photo by Pixabay

Cindy Diaz Rey, Copy Editor

1. Synagogue Shooting

On April 27, a small Jewish community in Poway, California, was targeted by a white supremacist who opened fire in a synagogue during the last day of Passover, a Jewish holiday, leaving behind one person dead and three injured.  As hate crimes continue to be on the rise, it gets harder every time to predict when and where the next hate crime will take place. According to the FBI, hate crimes spiked 17% in 2018, and the numbers continue to grow. According to the New York Times the terrorist attack was planned by a 19 year old who was armed with an AR-15-style gun, and as soon as the terrorist entered the synagogue he started yelling anti-semitic slurs and then opened fire. The attack sparked a debate about hate crimes in California, which supposedly has more hate groups than any other state.

1. Asylum Policies

As immigration continues to be a controversial topic all across the country, federal government is yet to put forward a clear solution to this national debate. Although there’s been multiple ideas and plans, there hasn’t been a definite answer to this topic. On April 3rd, the Trump administration announced new restrictions on asylum seekers. Some of them include application fees and work permit restraints. These policies will be taking place in 90 days. According to CBS News “The changes are just the latest in a series of proposals from an administration that is struggling to cope with a surge of migrant families arriving at the southern border.”

1. Juan Guaidó

Since the late 1990’s Venezuela has struggled with its leaders and the nation’s power.  Juan Guaidó, the president of the National Assembly of Venezuela and leader of the opposition in Venezuela, was internationally recognized a few months ago as the legitimate president of the country, instead of Nicolas Maduro, who the opposition is attempting to overthrow from power. After multiple protests and riots, Juan Guaido announced on April 4th that the so called ‘operation freedom’ which involves overthrowing the current administration, is in its final phase. According to CNN News Guaidó “has promised a transitional government and free elections to end the rule of the socialist Maduro regime.” Venezuela’s national crisis concerns other countries as well. Colombia, for example, is concerned about a war breaking out with its neighbor country. Ivan Duque, Colombia’s president, supports Guaidó and is urging Venezuela’s military to reject Maduro’s leadership.