The Importance of Voting

U.S. Army photo

U.S. Army photo

Photo by Courtesy Photo | https://www.army.mil/article/161099/voting_a_right_to_be_heard

U.S. Army photo

Cindy Diaz Rey, Copy Editor

With the coming up midterm elections in November, it is very unsettling to notice how people around me take for granted the right they’re entitled to. The right that many people didn’t posses just decades ago.

Voting is essential for our government structure, if not one of the most significant features of a democracy. It grants people the opportunity to speak up for what they believe in; it is a way to let the government know how you want to be represented in the nation, as well as what policies should be implemented for the betterment of our society.

Let alone the fact that voting was a hard-earned privilege. Throughout the long course of our country’s history, not everyone was born with the right to vote. Past generations have had to suffer through the hardships of fighting for this right, especially women and some minority groups.  Meanwhile, many of us are completely discarding it.

According to CIRCLE (the center for information and research on civic learning and engagement), only “50% of eligible young people—about 24 million youth, ages 18-29—voted in the 2016 general election.” This is a major weakening factor that affects the young political voices of America, and it accordingly affects our society as a whole. The less people vote, the less we let our government know what we want or need.

According to The Economist, there are many reasons as to why this is happening: young adults not seeing voting as a duty, a lack of trust in communication between politicians and the young, misinformation,  no political engagement whatsoever, and simply not being informed about who, when, and how to vote.

According to The Washington Post, women and young voters could decide and  impact the midterm elections´ outcomes if they actually go out to vote. It doesn’t really matter if you don’t have the required age to vote yet, I myself am not, but you can always keep yourself informed, commit to voting once you get the chance to, and encourage those around you to do so as well.

And if you are in fact eligible to vote and don’t know how to register, Utah offers an online voter registration form on Utah.gov. The deadline is October 30th. If you don’t have a Utah-issued ID, you still have the chance to register by mail by filling out the registration form and mailing it to your local election office.

So as cheesy as it may sound, every single vote does count. Your opinion matters. Take action. The future of the country relies on its people. It relies on you.