Visual Arts

Photo by South Jordan Journal
From painting to sculpting and everything in between, Bingham has had a long tradition of art in the school.

The history of Visual Arts dates back to tens of thousands of years ago, starting with cave paintings and hand-drawn stencils around 30,000 BC or later, and has evolved so much over time. Here at Bingham, our Visual Arts courses are recognized in many ways. Whether it’s the showcase in the Art Hallway, ceramic art on the shelves of room A108, or even in our Principal’s office, Bingham students’ art is displayed everywhere you look around our school.

At Bingham, we have seventeen classes dedicated to our students interested in taking an art class. Now, I know you are probably thinking, “I am not good at art.” Even though we have a lot of students who have many talents in this area, you don’t have to consider yourself “good” to participate in one of these classes. In fact, Artist Dana Gioia once said, “The purpose of arts education is not to produce more artists, though that is a byproduct. The real purpose of arts education is to create complete human beings capable of leading successful and productive lives in a free society.”

Doing an activity such as painting or drawing has many benefits including boosting creativity and confidence, relieving stress, improving communication and social development skills, and managing anxiety. Some classes we offer here are Painting, Ceramics, Commercial Art, Drawing, Calligraphy, and more. So, whether you are a talented artist or are still learning, you might want to consider trying one of the amazing art classes next year.