Dive Into “Comedy of Errors” with Bingham Theatre Company!

Identical twins separated at birth. A trio of puppet fish crooning out ‘70s hits. And a misfit crew of hippies, mimes, and street performers all running around in every which way! For the cast of Bingham High School’s The Comedy of Errors, it’s just another day in the office. But for the audiences who came and saw them, it was anything but!

Bingham High School’s groovy production of The Comedy of Errors performed from February 22-26 to enthusiastics. Featuring the talents of 20 student actors and [number] crew and production members, the William Shakespeare classic left Bingham High rocking, rolling, and California Dreamin’!

One of Shakespeare’s earliest works, The Comedy of Errors tells the wacky story of identical twins separated at birth- Antipholus of Syracuse and Antipholus of Ephesus- and their slaves, Dromio of Syracuse and Dromio of Ephesus… who just so happen to also be twins separated at birth. When the Antipholus and Dromio from Syracuse arrive in Ephesus, unaware that they both have identical twins in the city, the story unravels into a madcap cacophony of mistaken identities, misunderstandings, and accidental love affairs. Is the beautiful Adriana kissing the right Antipholus? Which Dromio belongs to who? And who on Earth are their parents? We may never know!

And if that isn’t enough for you, Bingham High School’s innovative production- which was recontextualized to be set in the groovy 1970s- also threw in a troupe of mimes, several slapstick fight scenes, and a trio of singing fish puppets. While Bingham’s treatment of the show stayed true to the original Shakespearean wording, its creative production design made it a whole new, unforgettable experience. Audiences laughed along to the hilarious slapstick comedy, admired the groovy, colorful costumes by costume designer Addie Bennett, and grooved along to the fish-filled performances of songs like California Dreamin’ and Don’t Stop Believing. This is not your grandmother’s Shakespeare- and according to director and production designer Chris Hults, that was the plan all along. And although the students began work on the production in early December, the concept for Hults’s Comedy of Errors has been in the works for much, much longer. 

But of course, as cool as the concept, sets, and costumes were, the real stars of the show were the actors who brought it to life! Performing Shakespeare is no joke, as many members of the Bingham High Theatre Company learned over the course of the year. They had to have a great   of the language and the meaning of what they’re saying, and they had to perform the lines in a way that helps the audience understand the old language as well. It’s a large bill to fit- but wethe actors involved in the production were more than ready to take on the challenge.

“Going into Comedy of Errors, I was skeptical of what would come of the opportunity. It was my first play I’ve ever done, and it being Shakespeare made me even more curious. Little did I know that doing this show would expand my view on Shakespeare so well and set me miles ahead as an actor, and give me people to call family,” says Bingham performer Jackson Marsh proudly. Marsh is a junior and played Antipholus of Syracuse, one of the identical twins. While he agrees that the show was a great challenge, he is endlessly grateful for the opportunity. “If I got the chance, I’d do it all again a thousand times over- and I’ll never underestimate singing fish!”

It’s a sentiment that several of Marsh’s castmates agree with. “I was initially worried about the trajectory of the show, but I have never been more thoroughly impressed with the process of each individual in a production truly bringing it together- not only to tell a story, but to create imagery, bring characters to life, and give connection to our personal lives,” explains senior Courtney Ross, who played the role of Adriana. “I will be forever grateful for this show and the relationships it gave me, whether that’s with the cast mates I simply adore, the relationship with my director and his endless visions, or my relationship with theatre itself.”

So, what’s next for the Bingham Theatre Company? If you can’t get enough of the school’s performing arts company, you can catch a performance of the musical theatre class’s treatment of the Broadway classic, Into the Woods, performing May 2nd-4th. Additionally, the advanced theatre class took 3rd place at regions for their one-act play, This Girl Laughs, This Girl Cries, This Girl Does Nothing and is now heading to state. And- as always- the company hosts monthly and weekly activities right in the Copper Pit! But until then- break a leg, Bingham!