Striking the Right Note: Bingham’s Choir Auditions and Offerings

Photo by Logan Bingham
The Bingham High School Madrigals pose for a picture together.

Bingham High School’s choir program, best known for its advanced group called the Bingham Madrigals, is so much more than what the majority of students realize.

The Bingham course catalog for the 24 – 25 school year lists four different levels of choir classes: Choir 1- Tenor/Bass, Choir 2- Alto/Soprano, Concert Choir- A Cappella, and Vocal Ensemble Madrigals. Mr. Bingham, the Bingham Choir Director, explained what each level means, saying, “The ‘Choir 1’, etc labels are the state course labels! Cantatrice (Sopranos and Altos) and Bravado (Tenors and Basses) are our intermediate level choirs where beginning singers and sophomores can join. A Cappella Choir is the advanced large choir and then Madrigals and Belle Voci are our most advanced choirs. Think of them like AP Choir!”

The audition process for joining the choir is pretty simple. Students are tested on their sight reading, rhythm, and melodic recall abilities. Then, they are asked to sing a short selection of a piece to test their vocal range. Mr. Bingham says, “The only reason we test for some of those things is to see what level they are at so we can place them in the right choir for them!” Mr. Bingham would like students to know that if students would still like to audition for Cantatrice, Bravado, or A Cappella Choir, they can email him at [email protected] or go see him in CH100 (Choir Room).

These classes have a huge number of students. Currently, A Cappella Choir has 109 students, while Madrigals has 32, and Cantatrice and Bravado have as many as 50. Mr. Bingham wishes more students knew how “fun and life-changing choir is” and further explains, “It is a lot of work, but the team aspect of working together to create something beautiful is what I wish more students could be a part of!”

The Bingham choirs perform at many different locations throughout the school year. This year, they have performed at many different schools and senior living centers, and also the historic Tabernacle on Temple Square.

Bingham’s choir classes are a great experience and a great way to meet new people and strengthen your skills.