News Flash

Photo by geralt

Photo by geralt

Konnor Woodburn, Editor in Chief

The world is constantly changing, and new things are always happening. These next few events are some of the things you need to be aware of right now.

The damage from hurricanes in the Atlantic Ocean has created a path of devastation across the Caribbean and the southeastern United States. According to the BBC, Hurricane Irma has been the strongest seen in the Atlantic Ocean in over a decade, with over 40 people dead. This number doesn’t even count the impact of Hurricane Harvey or the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria.

Robert Mueller, the special counsel for the investigation into the Russian influence on getting Donald Trump elected, has requested documents from the White House in regards to Trump’s actions since becoming president. He is currently looking into allegations of Russian influence on the firings of national security advisor Michael Flynn and FBI director James Comey.

The Utah State Board of Education is considering a proposal that would cut the requirement for fine arts and health and fitness classes in middle schools. Deciding whether or not to have these programs would be up to local district administrators, but some districts may not have the money to support these programs, and if they aren’t required, students may choose to not take them in favor of other required courses.

President Trump gave a speech at the United Nations, and in that speech, he said that the United States will “totally destroy North Korea” if forced to defend itself or our allies around the world. The UN has recently increased sanctions in response to North Korea’s nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean.

US Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has eliminated an Obama administration rule that required universities to use the lowest amount of proof possible when weighing a sexual assault case. The Department of Education says that those old rules “lack basic elements of fairness”. Now universities must have “clear and convincing evidence” in order to make a decision in one of these cases.