Midterm Election Results: Proposition 2, McAdams vs. Love

Back to Article
Back to Article

Aubrie Hickmon, Editor-In-Chief

The 2018 midterm elections have been a major topic for talk in the country, and Utah has been no exception.

After voters cast in their ballots on November 6, the legalization of medical marijuana was passed with 52.4 percent voting for proposition 2, according to The New York Times. The vote was close, with barely more than a majority vote, but regardless of what the majority percentage was, it was still enough to legalize medical cannabis.

The important thing is to recognize is that it is only medical marijuana being legalized. Recreational use is still against the law in this state. In order for someone to obtain permission from a doctor to use medical marijuana, they have to have “a ‘qualifying illness’ for such a card is one of the following: Alzheimer’s disease, autism, cachexia, cancer, Crohn’s disease, epilepsy, HIV, Lou Gehrig’s disease, multiple sclerosis, post-traumatic stress disorder or ulcerative colitis,” according to The Deseret News.

Another vote that has garnered a lot of attention is the vote for the House of Representatives between Republican Mia Love and Democrat Ben McAdams. As of the writing of this article, the vote is still being counted. According to The New York Times, Love has 49.8 percent of the vote and McAdams has 50.2 percent of the vote. The vote count deadline is November 26, so the winner will be determined on or before that date.

This midterm elections has been groundbreaking in many ways, both on a national level and a local level. And as is being seen in the race between Love and McAdams: every vote counts.