The Student Newspaper of Bingham High School

Red Card! Bingham Spectators “Foul Out” with Destructive Game Behavior

Photo by @ojefferies.photography
Bingham football games, as shown in this picture, have been a source of entertainment for ages. But what happens when they go wrong? Photo credit: @ojefferies.photography

Nail-biting plays. Cheerleaders flying through the air. Victories that leave players and spectators celebrating. All are things you can expect to see from the stands of a typical Bingham High football game. Another thing you might see?

Bare-knuckle brawling, of course.

The integrity of Bingham High Football has recently been called into question following several altercations involving students at games, the most recent being an alleged physical fight between fans in the student section. The fight, which took place on Friday, September 22nd at Herriman High, involved students from both Bingham and Herriman. Allegedly, the fight was instigated by over-competitive fans who were dissatisfied with the score in the first half of the game. While no participants were significantly injured, the altercation brought to attention a pattern of violent acts taking place in the student section this season.

Students have reported several incidents taking place during the games since the season started in August, giving Bingham a less-than-favorable reputation among other schools. In an Instagram poll sent to students from Bingham and game-goers from other schools, 52% of students determined that Bingham game behavior has indeed gotten out of control. When asked for specific stories, several students claimed to have seen various projectiles thrown into the crowd by students hoping to strike others, with the most common weapons being food and drink, paint, and shoes.

Students have also experienced more hands-on altercations, including some that have left them feeling unsafe in the school environment. Of course, the fight at the Herriman game is a prominent example. Witnesses claim that this specific fight started as a verbal confrontation, then quickly turned physical, with students and parents from both schools allegedly involved. It is unclear whether the students knew each other before the event, but the fight was definitely motivated by the competitive nature of the game. Additionally, one student who wished to remain anonymous confesses that many game experiences have left them feeling unsafe, and the student has not attended a game since. Yet another student claims that her Homecoming date got their shirt ripped off by an overexcited fan.

While these incidents do not involve everyone, it certainly has affected the public’s perception of Bingham High School and its students. “Yeah, the Bingham stuff got kind of crazy,” says an anonymous Herriman High student. They are a frequent game-goer, but recent experiences at Bingham games have left them with a sour taste in their mouth. “I mean, I love my Bingham friends and it’s not like other schools are perfect either, but it’s getting hard to support the school as a whole.” Students from all over the district agree that the actions of our student section foster an unsafe and destructive environment in what should be an exciting, quintessential high school experience. While Bingham is far from the only school that lets things get out of hand at school functions, the prominence of our school in the area makes us especially susceptible to criticism.

It’s a sentiment that students from both schools agree with. “Going to school games is supposed to be fun, but with stuff like this happening, it’s not fun for everyone,” explains Bingham senior Taeya Peck. Like our anonymous Herriman student, she wishes that the unsafe space created in the Bingham stands would become more constructive, but she’s not returning to the games until it does. “I mean, we’re there to root for our team, not put each other down. And it’s possible to do both. Games are meant to be enjoyed.”

Whether you’re a full-blown fan or couldn’t care less what happens on the field, it’s important to evaluate the student body’s behavior when it comes to school games. Bingham High School is known throughout the area for its exceptional school spirit and determination. We have a long history of Miner pride and loyalty to our teams, and of course, the majority of game-goers are not the problem. But even though the actions don’t involve every student in the stands, each altercation is still another black mark on Bingham’s record- and most of the student body agrees that our school’s reputation is more important than proving a point. The only solution? Show off your Miner spirit by being on your best behavior for all future games, remind your friends to be polite in the stands, and cheer on our teams in a respectful and constructive manner.

View Comments (1)