Feeling Down? Hope Squad Says ‘You Are Kenough’!

Hope Squad is a national organization with branches all over the US- get involved with Binghams today!
Photo by Hope Squad Official Website
Hope Squad is a national organization with branches all over the US- get involved with Bingham’s today!

Suicide. It’s a topic that many students, teachers, and administrators are uncomfortable bringing up. But that doesn’t change the fact that suicide and mental health issues are very prominent in today’s high school society- every year, an approximate 5000 high school students take their own lives. This figure has only increased in recent years, due in part to the fact that the general public lacks the knowledge or resources to help those affected. But when it comes to mental health awareness and suicide prevention, Bingham High’s Hope Squad is on a mission to bring change.

Hope Squad is a nationwide organization with a mission to “prevent suicide through public awareness and education, reduce stigma, and serve as a resource to those touched by suicide,” according to their official website. There are branches in 43 states and over 1600 schools, and Bingham High School’s student-run division is proudly serving our community with support, understanding, and community. Students of any age or grade level can join the organization, which counts as an elective credit and is taught by Bingham teacher Rene’ Bair. In class, the students learn warning signs and prevention methods, plan and execute school-wide events, and learn how to be supportive friends to all.

On January 22nd, Hope Squad kicked off Hope Week, a school-wide spirit week promoting positivity, community, and mental health awareness. Taking inspiration from the 2023 hit film Barbie, the week’s theme was “You are Kenough”, and it hosted a dress-up theme or fun event each day. On Monday, students were encouraged to “be comfortable in their own skin” by coming to school in pajamas. On Tuesday, members of Hope Squad hosted an Uno tournament at lunch. Borrowing from another iconic movie, Wednesday’s theme was “On Wednesdays, we wear pink,” which was accompanied by an in-lunch fashion show. Thursday saw a screening of a classic animated Barbie movie, and on Friday, the week triumphantly closed with a hot chocolate social. The team spent countless hours putting the project together, and if the student body’s enthusiastic participation was any indication, it was a rousing success.

Of course, Hope Week isn’t the only thing that the squad contributes to Bingham High. Their influence on the student body is far-reaching, from frequent projects and events to middle-school outreaches. Additionally, they bring public awareness to mental health resources, such as the school’s wellness room, which is open to all students. And although being a member of the team is evidently hard work, Hope Squad member Chase Daynes believes that the effect it has on the student body is worth it.

“A huge lesson I’ve learned in Hope Squad is that more often than not, people don’t show what they’re truly feeling inside, and a lot more people are hurting inside than we think,” he explains. “That’s why we need to treat everyone with kindness and love, because who knows if they’re going through the hardest time of their life?” As a sophomore, this is Daynes’s first year on Hope Squad, but the organization has already had a profound impact on his life. “Going into Hope Squad… I knew I would have a good experience, but I had no idea how much I would learn about myself and how much mental health, as well as other factors, affect our world today.”

“I think the biggest takeaway I’ve gained from being in Hope Squad this year is the skill of mindfulness, or meditation. Mindfulness is essentially being aware of what you are feeling and your surroundings at any given moment. It’s a skill that takes much work and practice to master, and I appreciate having this class where I can learn these skills that can help me in any area of my life,” he continues. “While Hope Squad primarily focuses on suicide prevention and kindness, it also serves as a valuable class for life skills that aren’t typically taught in school but should be.”

Do you want to make a difference in both your life and in the lives of our student body? Joining Hope Squad is as easy as requesting the class on your course recommendation sheet. For more information, find Ms. Bair or any current member of the Hope Squad, and don’t forget to follow them on Instagram at @binghamhighhope to receive updates.