The Student Newspaper of Bingham High School

AP vs Concurrent Enrollment; What’s the Difference?

By: James Buie

(kslnewsradio.com bingham high construction)

As students across the world navigate the path toward college readiness, many students are left wondering which option truly offers the optimal balance of rigor, flexibility, and preparation for the future; AP or Concurrent Enrollment Join us as we delve into the nuanced differences between Concurrent Enrollment and AP classes, uncovering the advantages and considerations that shape each student’s academic journey.

So what’s the difference? AP classes are a staple of many high school curriculums, they offer students a taste of college-level material within familiar classroom settings, with the possibility of earning college credit through standardized exams. On the flip side, concurrent enrollment provides a unique opportunity for high schoolers to take courses directly at local colleges or universities, taught by professors, and earn immediate college credit upon completion. While AP classes offer a more rigorous highschool type of class, concurrent enrollment offers a glimpse into the college experience, with a broader range of course offerings. While both seem similar, let’s see the big differences between the two.

AP classes offer a chance to take a more rigorous course with the familiarity of highschool. One student stated that, “while I did learn a lot, I did leave feeling like the classes were a little overrated.” Some other students shared the same sentiment, and felt like concurrent enrollment may have offered more for them. Concurrent enrollment classes don’t have an “end of class” test, and are instead graded the typical way assignment to assignment. While the grading is different, most of the work is the same, and is fairly similar in the way it’s assigned and made.

In conclusion, the choice between concurrent enrollment and AP classes represents a pivotal decision in every high school student’s academic journey. While AP classes offer familiarity and structure within the confines of high school, concurrent enrollment provides a glimpse into the college experience and offers immediate college credit. Whether opting for the rigor of AP or the experiential learning of concurrent enrollment, students should embrace the opportunity to chart a course that best suits their individual needs, setting the stage for success in both high school and beyond.