Girls’ Lacrosse

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls’ Lacrosse

Photo by Wikipedia

Photo by Wikipedia

Photo by Wikipedia

Mandy Jenkins, Staff Writer

Girls’ lacrosse, a soon to be sport, is stealing the spotlight.

There are two teams for our girls’ lacrosse club and their home field is at Elk Ridge Middle School. The varsity team plays first, usually around 5:30 pm, then the junior varsity team plays starting between 6:15 and 6:30 pm.

Their practices include many drills like passing the ball, scrimmage, and other drills to help them improve their stick work. Taylor Carrington, a JV attack, said, “We work on things that the coaches saw that we need to work on at the [ last ] game.” For passing drills, the girls try to pass the ball to each other.

There is 48 girls total. On the varsity team, there are 21 girls. On JV, there is 27 girls. The girls on varsity have 5 wins and 4 losses in their season. Paige Barney, goalie on varsity, said, “It’s all about teamwork, on the field, it is all about working together.”  The JV team has 8 wins, 2 ties, and 1 loss.

Girls on the team work hard and have practice almost every day.Their practice is usually an hour. That means they lose an hour with their families, or an hour for their homework, or an hour to spend how they would like. On game days, if they decide to go to both games, that’s most of their afternoon taken up.

Girls’ lacrosse has always been a club at Bingham but starting next year, it will be recognized as a sport. The girls on the team work very hard to prove themselves and they don’t plan to stop anytime soon. Make sure next year, we support our ambitious girls.