The Student Newspaper of Bingham High School

Daily Pledge: More Damaging Than Helpful

cartoon by Tyler Monson

Senate Bill 223, passed by Utah’s legislature during the 2012 session, now requires the Pledge of Allegiance to be said daily in public schools across the state. Freshman senator Aaron Osmond sponsored this bill. According to KCPW, Osmond said that the idea came to him after visiting several schools. He also said the pledge is a “reflection of our thought, commitment, and loyalty” to the United States.

Loving your country is great, but is saying the Pledge every day really necessary? Saying it that frequently makes it seem trivial. How many kids even know what they are actually saying? It seems as though the majority of students are just reciting it like a robot with no emotion behind it.

One major downfall of this bill is that we have to say the pledge as individual classes. We were more unified as a school when we were saying it over the loudspeaker. There is something really cool about knowing everyone in the school is saying it at the same time. Daily repetition of the pledge, if anything, has made it less meaningful. Reciting a few short sentences every day does not adequately demonstrate people’s devotion to this country.

Social studies teacher Mr. Matt Walker comes from a military family and doesn’t have a problem with saying the pledge. It is the fact that it is a forced pledge that bothers him. To get out of saying the pledge every day, students must have their parents sign a waiver.

“Waivers require a signature, so are the choice of the parents, not the students,” Walker said. “A forced pledge isn’t a real pledge.”

Doesn’t it go against everything this country stands for to force people to recite a pledge? The pledge states “with liberty and justice for all.” Liberty is to be free of government control, so the government forcing you to say the pledge is a bit hypocritical.

Many students also have a problem with saying the Pledge daily.

Senior Isaac Sampson said “saying the pledge everyday makes it lose its meaning.”

On the other hand, Sophomore David Schilling said, “I think it’s an important thing because it increases national identity and patriotism.”

His viewpoint is understandable but slightly flawed. Teachers have been having a difficult time getting people to volunteer for the pledge. If it mattered so much to students, they should be willing to go up and lead it.

It still seems that the vast majority of students are against it.

Senior Tiffany Wood said, “I don’t feel like saying the Pledge every day makes me more patriotic. In fact, it actually makes it seem less special when I am saying it that often.”

View Comments (1)