PDA: Partners Demanding Attention

Despite the passing of Valentine’s Day at Bingham, love continues to linger in the air. So much so, that it almost cannot be escaped. Just like the Utah inversion, it surrounds you at all times. Fellow students are hugging in the stairwells, kissing in the cafeteria, and holding hands in the hall. There is nothing wrong with showing some affection in public, but at what point does it go too far?

“I’m okay with PDA in the form of patting each other on the head,” said art teacher Mr. Phillip Jackson.

Hand holding or a quick peck on the cheek is probably the least offensive type of PDA. It is when couples take their affection to the next level that things get awkward. No one wants to watch a student give some girl a tongue bath in the middle of the hall. These complete make-out sessions inspire projectile vomit from the viewers. It is in these situations the term “get a room” comes to mind. I know it might be news to some people, but it is entirely possible to control your hormones for the seven hours you are at school.

Bingham hallways are crowded enough as it is. Trying to squeeze past hustling bodies should be a student’s only concern. Tack on being slammed against a couple who are sucking face, and your day becomes a whole lot worse.

“Last year, this couple would make out in front of my locker every morning before school. I had to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to move,” said senior Rachael Munk.

As you watch these students practice sex ed. in the halls it can be difficult to focus on education. The images being etched into the brain are disturbing and uncalled for.

“I think that the school should be stricter on PDA rules. An occasional kiss is okay, but full on make-out sessions should be left at home,” said senior Braydon Telford.

Even though hugs are considered a mild form of PDA, it is hard to understand the uncomfortable, lingering hugs between students before class. Your special someone is going to science, not Antarctica.

“If a hug lasts more than two seconds it’s too long,” said senior Anders Evensen.

The single and lonely people of this school don’t want to be constantly reminded of their pathetic existence. It is bad enough to be sitting in class and watching everyone fawn over their Valentine balloons, chocolates, teddy bears, and roses. There is no need to prove to others that the relationship will lead to marriage after high school. It is suffocating to see the tangible love bubbles in the air. It can make one bitter to the point of wanting to produce an invisible needle, and pop away.

A good rule of thumb:

“If you wouldn’t do it in front of your parents, don’t do it at school,” said Anders.