That Day

That+Day
Photo by Cartoon courtesy of Darcy Christiansen

Its 5:45 in the morning and your alarm clock rings all too soon. Suddenly, your amazing dream cuts off right in the middle of the climax. After wallowing in self-pity for a few unfulfilling minutes you roll out of bed. A second after your feet touch the ground your face decides that it wants to meet the ground too. After only fifteen minutes of being awake, you can already tell that it’s going to be that day.

Everyone has had that day, the day when not even chocolate can fix the mood you’re in, or if you don’t go home that very second you’re going to cry. Everyone takes it differently, but unless you have a fantastic poker face, people can usually tell. It’s okay to have that day once in a while: not everyone can be happy all the time.

The bad morning just turns into a bad day as your English teacher gives you a pop quiz on the five hundred vocabulary words you’ve had this year, you realize that you didn’t do that hundred and fifty point assignment that you can’t turn in late, and you get to lunch right in time to miss out on the Asian food.

Studies have shown that when you determine whether the day is going to be good or bad, it’s all in your head. In other words, if you act like it’s going to be a bad day, it will be.

As a typical American teenager, you probably say things like, “I don’t like school,” or “I’m tired.” Constantly repeating things like this also take points off of your “good day scale” maybe try some positivity, not saying that you have to walk around the school singing the Bingham fight song or drinking gallons of caffeine to make you more pumped about the day, but maybe smile, that’s not too much to ask.

The question remains that if we know that that day is all in our heads why do we let it happen? The answer is simple; when one bad thing happens our brains go into overdrive. This problem happens to girls especially, but it happens to boys too. The fact of the matter is, if you let every little blip on the radar become a huge tyrannosaurus-rex of an issue you will eventually end up with an army of T-rexes trying to eat you. Taking little things in stride usually helps when this is the deciding factor of your day, instead of looking for a scapegoat look for a solution.

When people see you having that day usually they will say something like, “Are you ok?” or “I know how you feel.” In reality, things like this may actually make it worse. It’s strange how being nice can actually be rude at the same time. Not that people should stop caring, but maybe back off a bit, if people want to talk about it you shouldn’t need to prod them to get them to speak.

Just remember that it’s another one of those ridiculous “rites of passage,” and that whether you are the happiest person in the school or just typically happy it’s bound to happen to everyone.

On the other hand, there’s your day; the day when everything seems to be going just right and things just seem to fall in to place.

Your alarm clock rings at 6:45 because it’s a Friday, and you get out of bed slowly, but you don’t waste more than five minutes. You get ready for school and the perfect outfit is just waiting in your closet for you to find. After grabbing a quick breakfast, you start your unfrosted car. The drive to school takes you a minimal amount of time; turning in to the parking lot, you see it, the perfect front parking spot, and it’s all yours. There will be no waiting around for the parking lot to clear up, because today is just your day.

So get back up in the morning and sing in the shower, because it’s going to be a great day.