Finalizing your Final Four

During the second round of the 2012 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament at Greensboro Coliseum on March 16, 2012 in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Photo by Photo Courtesy of Google Images

Austin Weeks, Sports Editor

Being a huge sports fan, my favorite time of the year is on it’s way.  March Madness.  With March Madness comes my bracket and all my selections for who’s taking the championship this year.

The hardest part of March Madness is choosing the teams you think will advance.  Do you choose the upset, or do you choose the one with the nicest looking uniforms?  These days I’m more into the mascots.

No matter how you choose your teams, there will always be a different way to do it.

Record

The most obvious is by choosing by their record.  If they win games in the regular season, they will most likely win during the tournament.

Upsets

Every year in the NCAA tournament, there is always an upset to be found.  Last year it was Lehigh (a 15 seed) beating Duke (a 2 seed).  This year, one of the 16 seeds could make history by beating a 1 seed for the first time in NCAA men’s history.

Uniforms

Another way to pick is by choosing the best looking uniforms.  The Syracuse Orange have a really good looking uniforms, but the Baylor Bears have the ugliest neon uniforms known to man.  It all depends on taste I guess.

Mascots

My personal favorite (aside from upsets) is picking by mascots.  If you take this route, I would suggest to not go for Stanford.  Who would want to root for a tree anyway?

School Name

Many schools with cool sounding names make it into the tournament.  Gonzaga is one (as an added bonus, they’re a 1 seed) and Stony Brook might be another.  However, I wouldn’t suggest choosing a team named Bucknell, not only are they a 13 seed, but they also have a terrible name.

Blindfolded

I have never actually tried this method, but you never know what could happen.  Just wear a blindfold, and point to a random team.  This could work, but I can’t guarantee success if you choose a 16 seed…sorry.

No matter how you decide to choose your teams for the tournament, there is still a 1 in 9 trillion chance of the perfect bracket (without thinking about the teams separately).  To put this into perspective, there’s a 1 in 730 million chance of winning the lottery, but just because I say that doesn’t mean that you can’t have the perfect bracket.  Surprise me! I’d love to see that happen.