Shattered Education: Why The Windows Do More Harm Than Good

Photo by Carter Carling

Floor-to-ceiling windows in every classroom. Why? They don’t help anyone. Do they do more harm than good? I think so.

I think windows are kinda a bad idea. Some windows are fine but why does every class have at least one huge, floor-to-ceiling window? Not only are they distracting, but they seem dangerous too.

Kids constantly run around the halls making it so students can’t focus. There is no point in having these windows except to make the school look a little less like a mental hospital. Don’t get me wrong, the school looks a lot better than it did before the renovations, but at least add some color. Anyways, the windows are just not it, bro. I can’t even go to the bathroom without half the kids in class watching me.

There was even a study by the California Energy Commission (linked at the end) that looked at the effect of windows in schools. They found that “an ample and pleasant view out of a window, which includes vegetation or human activity and objects in the far distance, supports better outcomes of student learning.”

This directly goes against what Bingham has done. These views just aren’t pleasant. No one wants to stare at a blank white wall inside  their classroom, and I’m sure no one wants to stare at a blank white wall outside of their classroom.

Photo Credit: Carter Carling

The same study from above also states, “the acoustic environment is also very important for learning. Situations that compromise student focus on the lessons at hand, such as reverberant spaces, annoying equipment sounds, or excessive noise from outside the classroom, have measurable negative effects on learning rates.”

Again, this directly goes against my experiences in Bingham. When I’m sitting in class, I can almost always hear multiple other classes through the walls. It’s almost like there is zero soundproofing. But, hey, we have windows though!

Some students don’t mind the windows, with Jacob Ngatuvai, a Bingham student, saying, “I think they’re fine.”

But other students have much harsher opinions; a student, who wishes to remain anonymous, says, “There’s no benefit to them, it creates a distraction when students walk by, and can be dangerous in a life-threatening situation.”

The safety factor is a big issue too. It’s no secret that school shootings are happening more and more. Last year, in 2023, there were seven school shootings. That’s one every 52 days on average. I’m sure we all remember doing lockdown drills in elementary school and having to hide in the corner. But, with these huge windows, where can we hide?

Sure, the chances of anything happening at Bingham are very low, but if anything did happen then it’s game over.

Overall, I think the windows are a bad idea. They distract students from their important work and have the potential to be a safety hazard. I think the money spent on these windows would’ve been better spent on something like soundproofing.

Link to study: https://arccadigest.org/windows-classrooms-study-student-performance-indoor-environment/