The Student Newspaper of Bingham High School

A Dress to Impress

Photo Credit: Freepik.com
Photo Credit: Freepik.com

Jolie had been given an oak box by her family as a Christmas present. She was instructed by her grandmother to not, under any circumstances, open the box until she was back home. After a long twelve hours in a place wondering if the box was empty in between Biscoff cookies, Jolie was finally home. 

“You have to try them on!”, Jolie’s best friend Amelia excitedly shrieked after the grand reveal. Inside the oak box, there were three dresses.

“I will!! Have some patience”, laughed Jolie as she sauntered into her bedroom. When she returned, she was wearing a beautiful lavender sundress. After a few minutes, a chic navy day dress. Five minutes later, an elegant emerald evening gown glistened in the sunlight streaming through the window. 

“Oh Jolie, it is stunning!”, breathed Amelia.

“I know. And it’s made out of such a soft material that it feels almost like I’m wearing pajamas. But… I don’t want to spill or trip while having dinner, so I’m going to change back. Jaques and Isabella should be here any minute.”

Before Jolie could do so, there was a knock at the door. She dove into the closet while Amelia answered it. 

“Why hello there Jacques and Isabella! Those cookies look delicious! Jolie will be out in a few minutes.”

Soon, Jolie entered the main room to greet her friends and to tell them all about her trip and the mystery box. After encouragement from Amelia she brought out all three dresses and showcased them to the group.

Both Jacques and Isabella admired the dresses with Isabella even saying that she had “never seen clothing garments with such vibrant colors and details. I couldn’t ever find this quality in the shops” said Isabella.

Amelia quietly put the dresses away after the conversation had died. Once she returned, the group played card games for the rest of the night.

The next morning, Jolie opened her closet and noticed that the emerald green gown was missing. After searching high and low, Jolie thought back to the previous night. Jacques had shown little to no interest and had been in the main room the entire night. Amerila had only gone between the kitchen and the main room, except when the dresses had been put away, but she wouldn’t have taken one. There was the time that Isabella had gone to freshen up, and she seemed a bit envious of the dresses… but all that Isabella had brought was a small clutch purse. No where near large enough to hide an entire dress, So, that made Ameila the only possible culprit. She had been alone with the dresses, and had a purse large enough. 

Jolie’s suspicions were confirmed that night when she opened social media and saw a picture of Amelia at an outing wearing a forest green dress. Jolie was so upset and betrayed that she typed and deleted several messages, before deciding to just call her. It was on the third ring that Jolie tripped and landed on a pile of soft green fabric, peeking out from underneath the bed.