Finish of Football

Photo by Heidee Talbot
Bingham’s defense lines up against Cottonwood’s offense.

The Bingham High Football team had a successful 2012 season, finishing with a respectable 10-3 record. The Miners made it to the semifinals in the playoffs, losing to Region 1 champion Syracuse. The team finished with a 4-1 region record, taking second place behind Lone Peak. Bingham lost by a combined  10 points, losing to Alta by 1, Lone Peak by 4, and Syracuse by 5.

The Miners were held up just short in the playoff loss vs. Syracuse on a third and 1 play, followed by a fourth and 2 play that gave Syracuse the ball, preserving the win for the Titans. Syracuse went on to get crushed in the state championship game vs. Jordan, by a score of 58-2.

The team had an impressive win against Valor Christian High School (Colo.) early in the season, beating them by 1 point in overtime.

Senior Tonga Manu led the team in rushing, with 848 yards and 15 touchdowns. The passing attack was led by Coleman Stout and Jantzen Bowles, with a combined 17 touchdown passes. Hayden Weichers had 788 yards of receiving to compliment his 9 touchdown grabs. The standouts on defense were Drake Miller with 105 tackles on the year, and Carson Hussey with 92. Koa Wilson had 5 interceptions to lead the team, and Durrant “Dirty D” Miles sacked the quarterback 8 times. The Miners relied heavily on their seniors, and will have a young team next year.