Miner Ladies Lose to Lancers

Photo by Talin Larsen
Rand Rasmussen watches his Lady Miners as they play the Syracuse Titans in the quarterfinals of the state tournament.

The Lady Miners ended an impressive season 23-1 on February 22, 2013 after a loss to Layton in the semifinals of the state tournament.

Bingham ended the regular season 21-0, while also being named Utah’s top ranked girls basketball team.  The Miners went into the state tournament as the top seed from region 4.

They played both West Jordan and Syracuse and won by an average margin of 7.5 points.  They then went into the semifinals to play the Layton Lancers.

In the game against the Lancers, the Miners jumped out to an early lead at halftime with the score at 20-11.  Layton then outscored the Miners by 3 in the third quarter, but the score still remained in favor of the Miners at 30-24

The Lancers also outscored the Miners in the fourth quarter.  Layton got up on the Miners and the deficit proved to be too much for the Miners as the Lancers went on to defeat the Miners by 3.  The Miners had a chance to tie the game on a buzzer-beater three pointer that was missed.

The Miners were led by outstanding performances by star players Jilian Powell and Ashton Henderson with 10 and 9 points respectively.

On Friday, March 1, Rand Rasmussen announced that he would be retiring from coaching girls basketball.  The Lady Miners are definitely sending Rand off with an amazing season.