Pre-Season Hype

Get ready for Bingham's winter sports season

Photo by landersb

Photo by landersb

JP Wilson, Staff Writer

The leaves are falling and the sports are changing. Where the football players used to be lifting weights, the wrestlers are now pumping iron. The basketball players are taking advantage of newly cleaned courts, and powerful swimmers are pushing through the water.

This year Boys Basketball is going to be super exciting to watch. Boys Basketball Head Coach Schroeder, said, “In the last four years we kind of knew who our best players were, but this year I don’t know for sure who our best players are going to be; it could be no one.” Schroeder thinks that the absence of exceptional individuals could be a great opportunity to have a stronger team, and an opportunity for players to distinguish themselves. We can expect the Boys Basketball this year to come out fighting as a team, not just a bunch of individual players.

Girls Basketball is going to have an exciting year as well because they have moved to a more challenging region, but the exceptional team will meet that challenge. According to Coach Charron Mason, they are really looking forward to playing American Fork, last year’s state champions. Girls Basketball’s main goal is to do well in their region during the regular season so that they are able to get a good place in the state tournament. Manson said that there are a lot of returning players this year, so the team is going to be really strong because they already work well together.

The wrestling Head Coach, Matt Walker, said that he is very excited about the return of state competitors from last year: Mason Christiansen, Cole Moody, Marco Herrera, and Breven Butterfield. He wants to push his team to train hard and to work towards defeating the more difficult competition out of state. Walker is excited about the out of state competitions this season, such as the tournament in Reno, Nevada. He said that these competitions out of state are “chances for the wrestlers to add more tabs to their belt,” and to gain more respect and attention from other wrestlers and colleges.

So now that volleyball, football, and soccer are over, don’t let high school get boring. This winter get suited up in your stylish Bingham gear and ugly BHS Christmas sweaters to go cheer on the wrestlers and your basketball teams!