Minerette Magic

Back to Article
Back to Article

Minerette Magic

Photo by Bingham High School

Photo by Bingham High School

Photo by Bingham High School

Britney Chen, Online Editor

The Minerettes finished their last invitational competition, the Rocky Mountain Invitational, on January 13.

They competed in the Hip Hop. Military, Dance, and Character divisions and won first place in Hip Hop, Dance, Character, and second in Military. These are similar to their high scores from the Premier Drill Classic competition: first place in Military, Character, and Dance, and the UVU Invitational: first place in military and second in Dance according to the Utah High School Activities Association.

Their next competition is Region at Westlake High on January 27 and then onto Semi-Finals and State Finals on the first weekend of February. In reference to their next competition, Jamyn Miller, the Minerettes’ head coach, said, “We prepare to go into competition and do our very best.”

To do their best, the Minerettes spend many hours preparing for competitions, practicing as a team since last May. They try to improve themselves by being ready with a plan for each practice and making sure everyone feels 100 percent prepared to compete.

The Minerettes have a good track record, having won seven state championships from 2004 to 2007 and 2010 to 2012. Miller attributes this to something she calls “magic.”

“The Minerettes set a standard when it comes to elite technique. They are a close team. There’s just something special.” They develop their unity by having team activities and spending so much time together.

Their goal for this year is to be the 2018 6A state champions. Miller said every team was their biggest competition, but Copper Hills is the one to beat, having won the last four state championships.

About the Writer
Britney Chen, Online Editor

Britney Chen is a senior at Bingham. A long time Utahn and a brief native Chinese, she spends her time...