Bingham’s Killer XC: Great Runners and Greater Friends

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Nicholas Mangum

Photo by Nicholas Mangum

Photo by Nicholas Mangum

Skylon Thomas, Historian

From practice beginning at 5:30 AM on Tuesday and Thursday, to the one to two hour practices after school, the XC or Cross Country team spends roughly all their time preparing to race.

With each normal race being the equivalent of a 5K, the kids on the team have to be ready, physically and mentally. Having their rigorous (but optional) summer running program, along with the tight friendships they make during this time, the team is well on its way to a successful year.

Besides being 2nd in the state to the reigning champs American Fork, Bingham comes out as one of the top contenders for the state title. According to Jared Peterson, a Bingham Sophomore, and one of this year’s Varsity runners on the XC team, it seems that Bingham is well on their way too victory this year. “I actually think that we have a really good chance this year of winning. At least 2nd place for sure. We’ve had really good and consistent scoring, so I think we have a shot.”

But not all the credit can go to the teams speed and scores. Bingham not only has one of the best teams in the state, but one of the closest teams in the entire state. Morgan Calder, this years Team Captain said the team spends “roughly 15 to 20 hours a week.” From gathering for team dinners before every race to going out and having fun without being at a practice, the XC team spends all of their time outside of home with each other. Both Peterson and Calder agreed that the team is easily like a second family.

“The people make it a lot more worth it. It’s a lot harder to run when you don’t have a team behind you. That and we stay fit, that’s good too,” said Peterson. Although next year the varsity team will be losing about 75% of their runners with six out of the eight being seniors, Jared and Calder hope they’ll at least be able to pull off the win this year and want to enjoy the team while they’re all still here.

About the Writer