The Student Newspaper of Bingham High School

Teacher Spotlight: Thurgood

Clinton+Thurgood
Clinton Thurgood

Mr. Clinton Thurgood grew up in Salt Lake City and went to East High School. During his time at East High, Thurgood bought a pot bellied pig because he thought it would help him get girls. And it totally worked! Although, his Mom was not a fan of his new pet and, really wasn’t happy that she got to take care of his pig while he was at school. I don’t think either of them expected the pig to live 17 years, but when he left for school and eventually got married, he left his Mom with a little present, his pig. Now, he currently lives only a mile from his childhood home. Mr. Thurgood graduated from the University of Utah with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology. He then went on to Loyola University in Maryland to get his masters in clinical psychology, and then went back to U of U for a degree in school psychology. After school, he got married. He now has four kids, two granddaughters, and another granddaughter on the way. Even though he is happy with his choice, Mr. Thurgood says “school psychology was an accident.” When he finished high school he had a different career in mind. Knowing he wanted to stay in Utah, he made a switch to school psychology because the first career he had in mind was located on the East Coast. To get himself hired as a school psychologist, he had to call in a few favors until he could go back to school and make the job title official. If you were to ask him now, he would tell you he is very grateful for the career he is in. “Lazy”is not a word one would use to describe Thurgood. He is devoted to what he does for the students at Bingham and the journey he went through to get there. As a 504 counselor and a school psychologist he is often behind the scenes, but he makes a difference in many students’ education here at Bingham. Thurgood’s goal is to be a safe person that students can talk to, giving them someone that they can feel comfortable with. During lunch, his room upstairs is never quiet, but full of incredible people and a lot of laughter. By nature, Mr. Thurgood is very caring and truly tries to give students as much help as possible.