An Open Letter to Bingham

Photo by Daenth1

Photo by Daenth1

Dear Bingham,

We’ve had our ups and downs. When I first met you three years ago, I hated you. You were scary. And huge. I mean, really. Why does your upper floor have to be a reflection of itself? I was constantly getting lost in you. Okay, okay. So I still sometimes end up in the cafeteria when I’m trying to get to the parking lot. Computer Tech nearly killed me, the sophomore class was never ready to respond when asked what our cry was, and I dragged a cone about halfway around the range before noticing it under my tire. Not a fan. You made me feel alone and scared and stupid. You have so many talented and delightful students. I was a mere bottle cap floating through an ocean of talent.

It’s taken a while, but I like you now. I can’t believe I’m a senior. It’s just like everyone says: it’s over in the blink of an eye. Bingham, you’ve shown me how to work hard and have fun, to get out of my comfort zone and talk to new people, to laugh at myself and try new things. If I could tell my middle school self all the things I’ve been able to try in high school, my middle school self would laugh. Or maybe pass out. I’ve met some of the best people here who will go on to do amazing things. As for myself, I’ve become the kind of person I didn’t even know I wanted to be.

However, if you are the best three years of my life, I’m suing. I am ready to say goodbye. You have prepared me for the real stuff, the stuff that is going to be hard and tedious and painful but so rewarding. I’m excited for the future that lies ahead.

For the rest of you still chilling here, good luck, and have so much fun. These years should not be full of comparing yourself to others, stressing out about every little thing, or even wanting to just grow up already. Time will move on whether you want it to or not, so just live in the moment. Do what makes you happy, and stop worrying about what other people are going to think. Join clubs. Participate in True Blue. Study when you can, then treat yourself with ice cream when you’ve had enough. Be spontaneous. Laugh at yourself. Tell yourself you’re rad once in a while.

Okay so if any of you want to make that a wall decal, go ahead. Just make sure to quote me. But in all honesty, it’s been a privilege to walk these halls. It’s a great day to be a Miner.

Peace Out.

-Your Editor-in-Chief, Allie Oniki